Monday, August 10, 2009

Randy


My husband is a convert to Catholicism, with a Baptist/Pentecostal background . What led him to the Church, after a considerable amount of prayer and fasting, was searching for the complete truth about what Jesus had taught and what he really meant in the Gospels. One of the bible passages that had the greatest impact on him was the "Bread of Life Discourse", especially John, 6:52-71. Randy said that Jesus never said, "Wait! Wait! Come back, I was just kidding." Rather, He let them walk away. The fact that Jesus watched them go without retracting His statement made him realize the complete sincerity and the profound truth of Our Lord's words. My husband didn't want to be one of those who walked away. Randy entered the Church ten years ago, absolutely convinced that this was where God wanted Him.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Randy! My husband converted in 2006. He's never really spoken of why. He was Lutheran before that, non-practicing. I know it was very difficult for him because his father was very much against it. Going so far as to tell him he has lost him as a son. Things are better now between them, but it was hard for him at that time. Blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    Congrats to your husband,too! I'm glad his father has softened his stance on this; that was sad to read.It would be really funny if God converted him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! My husband is still thinking about it. Says he "may" be willing to go to RCIA starting next month, but not sure. I am not pushing him. I think that is between him and God, and ultimately, I am sure, God will win out. There are too many miracles in my life, and he notices. I think it is more fear of what he may have to give up -- he does not understand that he will gain, not lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth,
    Randy's journey took a while,too. He prayed a lot about this. He did end up having an "AHA!" moment thanks to God's grace. I will pray for your husband and Randy will,too. It can be a big change and the walk is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. It's a much longer story but the essence of it is that it was John 6 that captured the heart of this former pentecostal protestant minister of many years and that of my daughter as well, though we did not know this until the Holy Spirit revealed it nearly a year into the journey. In short, my whole family of five converted. That was January of 2006. We have thus endured much financial hardship and difficulties of other kinds as well, which continue to this day. However, we would not change and have never second guessed what was simply the most sound decision of our lives. God bless you, your husband and family and, thanks be to God for John 6!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owen,
    That's amazing. I wish I could hear the whole story! My prayers are with you. May God bless all of you, too!

    ReplyDelete